Wages, Hiring Policies, and the Glass CeilingUp one level
Documents about policies that have historically reflected discrimination in the workplace.
- Feminism and Position Envy
Features article from Arena Magazine, Number 4, April/May 1993. Sofia discusses "the subsumption of feminism," which she defines as efforts to contain and minimize the damage feminism might wreak on male-centered norms, and particularly directs her argument toward the academy.
- The Glass Ceiling
Toussaint discusses the history of women's economic oppression, including the recent phenomenon of "the glass ceiling."
- Preventing Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
- Report from the Congressional Information Service (1993) that discusses the degree of sexual harassment in the workplace and the resulting directives to employers imposed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Subject to Debate
Pollitt discusses and refutes the claim that women -- particularly single mothers -- cause poverty.
- Twenty Facts on Women Workers
- Facts and statistics on women in the workforce in the early 1990s. Compiled by the Women's Bureau of the United States Department of Labor, June 1993.
- A Working Woman's Guide to Her Rights
- Leaflet 55 of the Women's Bureau of the United States Department of Labor, August 1992. Discusses various U.S. anti-discrimination policies, provides case-study examples, and offers suggestions for what to do when an employer impinges on one's rights.